One of my favorite sessions (speakers were dynamic and subject is always interesting) was Solving the Millennial Content Challenge with Jason Dorsey, Chief Strategy Officer of The Center For Generational Kinetics LLC, and Joseph Gagnon, SVP/GM/Cloud Solutions of Aspect Software. Both are experts in millennials research and strategies. Their presentation was specifically focused on U.S. millennials.
First, there were so many facts given about millennials. Here are some:
- Millennials are those born in years 1977 through 1995. They are categorized in these years because they can process the 9/11 event.
- By 2017, millennials will outspend baby boomers.
- Millennials are the generation with the least established loyalty because for most big purchases, they haven’t had the opportunity to make a decision again. You can’t lose loyalty if you’ve never had it.
- Millennials have the most diverse generation. They don’t see diversity until it’s absent.
- Millennials are accomplishing societal “norms” (such as marriage) 3-5 years later than expected. By certain ages, they have different accumulated life experiences than previous generations.